Vidhana Soudha, the Karnataka State Legislature building

About Me

My photo
New York, New York, United States

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The little banana-cart girl



I'm going to transplant and consolidate the story of the banana-cart girl, which got my niece clamoring for me to blog, from Facebook to blogger.com, and update it as necessary.

___________________________________________

February 24, 2012
I was out for a walk today, and at about 5 PM, I spotted this girl. She had gotten out of school at 4 PM, and was spelling her mother at the family banana cart, selling bananas at 6 cents each- and doing her homework. I gave her some money,... and she beamed a beautiful smile at me. No matter how difficult we think things are for us at times, others are having it much tougher- and not complaining. Instead, they work with their situation to do the best they can. God bless her dear little heart!


 

February 27
The little banana-cart girl. She was quite shy to pose for the photo. I gave her some notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers, glue sticks, glitter pens and a geometry box. She was thrilled!
We complain about all sorts of things, and use them as excuses for why we don't do stuff. It looks like the poor girl doesn't even have a change of clothes. She's wearing the same shirt she had on when I last saw her. I'm going to see if any of the brat's kiddie clothes are lying around here.
February 27
 Actually, she does have a change of clothes! She had pink on before, but that was some sort of dress top, not the shirt she has on here. Still, I'm sure she could use some of the brat's hand-me-downs!
March 10
The little girl's name is Laxmipathi Geetha("Geetha"). I gave her a bunch of the brat's old clothes, some of which have never been worn. She was wearing the same shirt as in this picture. Met the mother, brother and little sister today. Hopefully will put up a picture, sometime next week, of her in her new duds.

No comments: